If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (360) 703-3884

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Fireplace &Wood/pellet stove safety

11/2/2020 (Permalink)

November 1st is not just the day after Halloween. It is the day that signifies Fall, and with Fall, comes the chilled air and the crackling sound from the wood in our fireplaces and wood/pellet stoves.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there has been a significant reduction of houses sold in recent years that has a fireplace. However, during the winter months, fireplaces and wood/pellet stoves are used greatly to heat many homes in our neighborhoods and across America which is why we want to remind everyone how important it is to maintain and properly operate your stoves and fireplaces.

In the United States, behind kitchen fires, the 2nd leading cause of home fires are from heating systems. Fireplaces and Wood/pellet stoves are a part of those statistics. Preventative maintenance and annually inspections are very important. A yearly chimney sweep by a professional is a must! An inspection of the exterior stone, mortar and piping is also of extream importance. Also, check your windows and door seals for drafts. It is amazing the amount of heat that can be lost due to cracks or gaps. Proper maintenance will help keep your heating system operating safely and you will get the best return of warmth.

Before enjoying your fireplace, correctly dispose of ashes. One inch of ash will cause a fire to make more smoke. It's important to never place ash in a garbage bin indoors/or out. To properly clean and dispose of ash, you have to make sure it is cooled before shoveling it into a metal container with a lid. Also, remember to never store it near your home or firewood. 

Consider the type of wood you are burning and where it is being stored. Green or young wood have higher moister content and cause a lot of smoke and more build up of creosote. https://www.doctorflue.com/blog/what-is-creosote/ It's best to use seasoned or dried wood  that has been split for a safer fire. Storing your firewood in a dry place is also something to remember either a wood shed or garage to avoid moister. 

A few safety tips to remember: 

  • Always have a fire extinguisher near your fireplace/stove.
  • Start fire properly.
  • Install a chimney cap.
  • Never store matches, lighters, or other fire starters within 3ft of the wood-stove or fireplace.
  • Keep area clear of flammable items; Drapes, carpet, furniture and newspaper ext.
  • Never overload a fire or burn other debris.
  • Supervise small children and pets.
  • Extinguish fire before bed. 

A small flame can get out of control within 30 seconds. So it's very important to be sure all smoke/ carbon monoxide detectors are working and everyone knows your homes fire escape plan.

We know how damaging chimney fires can be to your home. SERVPRO specializes in smoke and odor remediation and indoor air quality. If you ever experience a home fire give us a call (360)703-3884 as soon as the fire is put out, to prevent any further damage from occurring.

Specializing in fire & water-cleanup & restoration. SERVPRO of Longview/kelso locally owned and operated.

We're always ready to help!

Other News

View Recent Posts